Sunday, February 17, 2008

Wasting Away

Something always happens at midnight. Something special and that's not necessarily a good thing. Wouldn't it be fitting if I had a grandfather clock in my room? It would add some sort of dreaded expectancy to what I am about to write. I won't know what it is until I finish it, but I know it cannot be a good thing.

The clock strikes midnight. Another day, another death, another reason to cry. Its not coincidental that our tears, those which show our greatest emotions come from our faces. We all hide our feelings yet we were born to show them. My face is a canvas on which the salty, transparent paint drips down never leaving the same pattern twice. Its no coincidence that another term for transparent is "see-through"; interpret it as you wish.

The clock strikes one. Evil has so many manifestations. People lying in hospital beds being defeated by something hardly visible through a microscope. Does a virus have emotion? "You have been accused of killing your host and are sentenced to death with them, how do you plead?" "With a smile on my face; your honour." What is the nature of this world in which a normal day can become a deadly day? Who has the wicked smile when a mother loses her baby? Who laughs maniacally when a family dies in a car accident while the teen who didn't want to go out that day picks up the pieces of her guilt-ridden broken heart?

The clock strikes two. We are born to ultimately die; this is our purpose. Our bodies racing against nature, life happens so quickly, most of the time we don't even stop to pay attention. Birds swimming in a puddle after fresh rains, that's great but we have appointments. Once the appointment with destiny comes, I'm sure most of us would have chosen to give those birds a few seconds more of our time.

The clock strikes three. I am lying in bed but I cannot sleep, not while this sinister message inside of me lingers. Writing helps get it out. But am I selfish for unleashing it on the rest of the world or noble for warning others of the dangers that lie within? I'm on special today, 25% off if you use the right credit card. What the hell does that even mean?

The clock strikes eternity... What time is it when a person laughs, cries, dies?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

really beautiful writing...

Anonymous said...

Writin is an art that you have mastered! :)


By TwitterButtons.com
 
free hit counter account login page
free hit counter
Web Analytics