Saturday, April 01, 2006

DVD Region Codes and the Entertainment Industry

Good afternoon friends. Today's subject is something that has been on my mind for a long time. However after the culmination of recent events, I feel it is my duty to reveal the truth for all to see.

I went back to the mall a few days ago to buy a
DVD player. I went to the store, inspected two or three machines, chose the one I thought was best and made my way home. Now our television in the lounge was made by a retard. Mr Toshiba did his sister a favour by letting her "special" son build a television set and my family landed up receiving this one of a kind TV. So after hours of figuring out how to connect the DVD player to the TV without disconnecting the cable and shutting down the hospital's main generator, we got this DVD player up and running.

So far so good, I put in one
DVD, it works, I put in an audio CD, it works, Memory card slot working perfectly. That is until I put in a DVD with region 1, I got this message:

What the hell is that? For all the bitching the MPAA, the RIAA and the film studios and music labels do about piracy and stealing, they sure do a lot to piss the consumer off. I bought a DVD player, legally, I bought a DVD, legally, so why in the hell can I not watch any DVD in any DVD player?!? Why sell the DVD if the country does not generally use that region? Israel is Region 2, why do they sell Region 1 DVDs? The answer is simple my friends, the Entertainment Moguls, are the greediest sacks of crap on the entire planet. You see they want to control you, your every move and they don't want you to have the choice.

Even if there was a logical reason as to why they do this - which I'm sure one of their hoity-toity lawyers can provide us - they should not be selling different region
DVDs in a country that doesnt accept that region. Oh... but wait a minute, I'm sure you can buy a DVD player thats three times the price of a regular one, that the gracious film companies have allowed to play all regions.

I recently bought a
DVD from one of my favourite bands(check them out: www.marillion.com) and much to my excitement, the DVD was region free. But how can this be? Well Marillion can actually be described as human beings, they want their fans to enjoy their performances in ever region in the world. I can watch it in Australia, South Africa, Antarctica and even here in Israel.

So all you big boys in the entertainment industry can learn a few things. First off, what Marillion makes is music, that shit that Beyonce spurts out of her mouth is not music, its noise. On top of that, Marillion actually writes their own music, no need to sample other people's work when you have a little musical instrument called talent! Second of all, Marillion like their fans, they want their fans to like them and they know that loyal fans will always be there for them hence, they don't piss their fans off.

I know it might be difficult for the guys at Sony, 20th Century Fox and EMI to grasp this but the consumer needs to make a stand. Somehow we need to get a message out to these retards that they don't dictate the industry, we do. Allow me to paraphrase from an excellent movie I just saw called "V for Vendetta": People should not be afraid of the entertainment industry, the entertainment industry should be afraid of the people, we are the ones who choose whether or not they survive. With all the music I own and all the
DVDs I own, I could easily live one year without them, so could most of you, I guarantee you however that a one year boycott of the Entertainment Industry would cripple them... Permanently!

Support smaller musicians and independent film makers, support musicians with their own music label, if the others care about the art and the fans more than the money, they will all soon follow suite.

On the next episode of Rustee Rants, The Bus Conspiracy and Mosquitos


3 comments:

Talli said...

we bought a dvd player with set regions.my brother just searched for the crack on the internet and made it region-free...

The Adam Segal said...

Yes but thats not the point I'm trying to make. Some DVD players don't have seemingly available fixes

Talli said...

i see...


By TwitterButtons.com
 
free hit counter account login page
free hit counter
Web Analytics